Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut is open to serve you! Call our legal aid hotline: 1-800-453-3320. You can also apply for legal help online.

Get Legal Help

Statewide Legal Services has free advice for low-income people with legal problems in Connecticut.

You can find out more about legal problems and apply for help here.

How to Get Help from Legal Aid

Statewide Legal Services (SLS) gives free legal advice to low-income people with problems in Connecticut.  For some problems we may send you to another legal aid program or to a volunteer attorney.  We cannot help people with problems in other states.

Most of our legal services are available only for people with household income at or below 125% of the federal poverty level. If you are 60 years old or older and think your income is higher than this, you may contact the legal aid office closest to you to see if you are eligible for legal services.

We cannot help you with a criminal case, if are trying to sue someone, or if you have an immigration problem.

Use our Legal Help Finder to find out if you should apply for legal aid.

You can also visit the self-help library to look up information about your legal questions.

If you have an emergency
you should call our office.
Do not fill out an application online.

Need help with a housing problem?

If you are facing eviction or losing your housing subsidy (such as Section 8), you may have the right to a free lawyer. Call 1-800-559-1565 or get more info at

Why apply online?

  • Our phone lines are open for limited hours and are very busy.
  • The wait time on the phone can be long.
  • You can apply any time of day or night.
  • The online application will help you find out if you qualify for our services.
  • If you apply online, your phone interview will be shorter when we call you back.
  • You can apply online for legal help with family, housing, public benefits, unemployment and other problems.
  • You can also apply for bankruptcy, debtor’s rights and consumer protection only online.
  • You can apply online using your computer.

If you have an emergency
you should call our office.
Do not fill out an application online.

Call Our Office

Why call our office?

  • If you are eligible, you will talk to an advocate and you won’t have to wait for us to call you back.
  • If you are not sure about your problem we can help you figure it out.
  • If you have an emergency, call our office. Do not fill out an application online.

Our call-in hours are:

Monday – Friday
9 am to 12 noon and 1 to 2 pm

Toll-free: 1-800-453-3320

From Middletown and Hartford:

You cannot apply for help with bankruptcy, debtor’s rights or consumer protection on the phone. For those problems, you need to apply online.

Find a legal aid office some place else in the United States or around the world.